N. Earl Spangenberg Outstanding Student Chapter Award
The Outstanding Student Chapter Award
is given each year to recognize an AWRA Student Chapter that has provided outstanding service in the furtherance of the Association's objectives:
- The advancement of water resources research, planning, development, management and education.
- The establishment of a common meeting ground for physical, biological, and social scientists, engineers, and other persons concerned with water resources.
- The collection, organization, and dissemination of ideas and information in the field of water resources science and technology.
In 2018 the AWRA Board of Directors renamed the award in honor of late AWRA Past President N. Earl Spangenberg, who formed the first student chapter of AWRA at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point (UWSP). Earl was a teacher, mentor, guide and resource to thousands of water professionals, not only at UWSP but through his many activities within AWRA.
- The award is based on activities in furtherance of the Association's objectives listed above, during an academic year rather than a calendar year.
- Regularly scheduled meetings to advance water resources knowledge, especially through presentations by invited speakers or by students on their research.
- Special and unique activities that contribute to the students’ educational program.