UPDATED as of November 19, 2020
The 2021 Virtual Summer Specialty Conference will bring together stakeholders from various types of organizations and professions across multiple disciplines to address the design, integration, and implementation of the programs and research necessary to improve the connection of land and water planning and policy. We invite you to join us!
that as we pivot to a virtual environment for this conference, we will have to make a few changes in our submission processes. We are still asking for all to submit a Special Session Proposal on Themes as described below. We will also be doing a Call for Abstracts on Special Topics. These abstracts will be grouped together in special sessions, and for some, we may ask that they be added to your proposal if a good fit is determined by the technical and planning committee. We have also removed the limit on presenters in a panel
The Planning Committee, led by Sharon Megdal, Director of the Water Resources Research Center at the University of Arizona
, and Jim Holway, Director of the Babbitt Center for Land and Water Policy
, a center of the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, are excited to bring together the novel research and practice of land and water planning and policy.
Multi-disciplinary sessions will focus on:
- Understanding the integrated nature of water and land challenges and goals for promoting healthy and sustainable communities.
- The relationships among water resources management, utility operations, and land use planning and design will be of particular interest.
- Themes of water supply, water demand management, stormwater management, wastewater treatment, community planning and design, conservation, water security and equity, and integrated “one water” approaches will be considered from both land and water perspectives.
Our multi-disciplinary approach guarantees a variety of technical presentations that will satisfy seasoned professionals and academics alike. AWRA's commitment to Community, Conversation and Connection
guides our efforts. Compelling presentations are the foundation of any conference and the AWRA Summer Specialty Conference is no exception. We rely on our attendees to provide much of the content.
Special Session Proposals on Themes (90-minutes)
- A special session focuses on a novel topic that embodies the essence of at least one of the conference themes or is multi- or transdisciplinary in nature.
- Special sessions require a proposal submission using the form below, submitted by the organizer.
- Special Session formats are flexible; they could be either a panel, roundtable, interview, or another format of your choosing. For example, two or three authors may cover related topics, each preparing a separate manuscript for journal submission and presenting on that manuscript.
- An additional presenter, who is not an author but may be giving a related presentation, could serve as a discussant reacting to the papers presented, or a moderator.
Required Information to Submit a Special Session Proposal
The deadline to submit your special session is February 1, 2021. You may submit up to three special sessions. To submit a special session proposal successfully, you will need to have the following information ready and then email it to Dresden Farrand, AWRA CEO, at email@example.com.
- The organizer and moderator names and titles of each special session you are submitting.
- A brief description (c. 150 words) of the session: what it will cover; why you feel it's significant.
- Other presenters name(s), affiliation(s), email address(es), and tentative session title(s). There is NOT a limit of presenters per session.
- Please indicate whether you would like your special session to be considered for the February 2022 JAWRA Featured Collection.
If you should have any questions about special sessions, please contact Technical Program Co-Chairs, Michael Campana (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Faith Sternlieb (email@example.com
To submit your special session and if you have questions related to submitting your Special Session, please contact Dresden Farrand (firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions related to conference registration and AWRA membership, please contact email@example.com
JAWRA Featured Collection & Ongoing Featured Series: Connecting Land and Water for Healthy Communities
JAWRA is planning this Featured Collection
for February 2022 as well as an ongoing Featured Series to highlight and build upon contributions from this AWRA 2021 Summer Specialty Conference on Connecting Land and Water for Healthy Communities. To propose a peer reviewed article for inclusion in the forthcoming JAWRA Land and Water Featured Collection and ongoing Featured Series, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
with a copy to email@example.com
To present the article you intend on submitting to JAWRA at the 2021 Summer Specialty Conference, contact the Conference Program Committee Co-Chair, Faith Sternlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org