AWRA’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Scholarship
The American Water Resources Association (AWRA) prides itself on providing multi-disciplinary community, conversation, and connection in the field of water resources. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our membership and programs and realize that there are systemic barriers to entrance in the water resources field.
To help address and remove these barriers, AWRA’s Board of Directors has established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Scholarship that provides a one-year association membership and complimentary conference registration to each of up to three scholarship winners from under-represented groups in the water resources field. It is our intent to continue to offer this scholarship each year.
Goal: Bring diverse perspectives and support career advancement of under-represented professionals in the field of water resources.
The Benefits: each year, up to three scholarship winners will each receive one-year of AWRA professional membership and one free conference registration of their choice. In addition, scholarship winners will be matched with a mentor from among AWRA’s leadership ranks, such as a board member, committee chair, or state section chair.
Membership benefits include a subscription to Impact magazine, a subscription to the Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA), free registration for webinars, membership and leadership opportunities in AWRA’s committees, as well as access to the career center and membership directory.
Award Criteria & Eligibility
Water resources graduate students, post-docs, and professionals who identify with one or more of the following are eligible:
- Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQ individuals, and persons with disabilities.
- AWRA is looking to support individuals who are entering the water resources field as young professionals (age 30 and under) or entering the field as a career change.
- The scholarship winner need not be a current AWRA member.
Scholarship Winner Commitment
The scholarship winner must commit to complete at least two of the following six activities before the end of their year-long membership. Scholarship winner must self-report completed activities with an email to [email protected]
- Submit an authored or co-authored article for publication in the Impact magazine;
- Submit an authored or co-authored article for publication in the peer-reviewed Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA);
- Make a presentation at an AWRA conference. If scholarship winner makes a presentation at an AWRA conference, AWRA will cover the conference registration fee and lodging at AWRA selected hotel. In addition, AWRA will provide $500 reimbursement for transportation and $100 for incidentals;
- Participate with an AWRA mentor in the work of one of active AWRA’s committees;
- Bring another water resources professional (non-AWRA member) to an AWRA conference. The scholarship winner should submit a brief memo explaining why their chosen colleague should attend the event for complimentary registration; and
- Make an AWRA webinar presentation.
This is a self-nomination process. Applicants should email an application packet to [email protected] by the scholarship application deadline set by AWRA. Scholarship decisions will be announced during AWRA’s annual conference each fall. The successful winners will serve their “term” during the subsequent calendar year, beginning January 1. The application packet should include:
- Application form (name, personal contact information, professional or academic affiliation, under-represented group affiliation);
- A professional resume;
- A 300-500 word essay describing their status in a professional water resources field, length of time in this field, relevant education, highlights of relevant work to date, the contributions they would like to make in this field (aka goals statement), and any barriers they would like to identify and address; and
- An academic or professional letter of reference, who can speak to the applicant’s ability to deliver on the commitments listed above.
Contact: [email protected]