David R. Maidment Award for Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Data and Information Systems
The David R. Maidment Award for Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Data and Information Systems is awarded periodically by the American Water Resources Association.
This Award (formerly the Award for Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Data) was established in 2008 and is presented to an individual or institution achieving a status of eminence in some aspect of the provision of data describing the nation’s waters. Recipients are: 2020 – David Tarbotan; 2019 - Jim Nelson; 2018 - Kernell Ries; 2016 - S. Geoffrey Schladow; 2015 - Anne J. Castle; 2014 - Sandra Fox; 2012 - Jeffrey Simley; 2010 - David R. Maidment; 2008 - Susan K. Greelee
The measurement of the flow, quality and level of available water resources, and the digital description of the water landscape (such as land surface elevation, stream networks, aquifers, soils, land cover, geomorphology, hydrogeology) are fundamental to sound water management and water science. The award is given to an individual who has made sustained contributions to water resources data by providing leadership in the provision of particular kinds of data, or by improving synthesis of water data using geographic and other information systems. Written documentation must be provided to demonstrate that the performance was sustained over time and that the individual’s contributions to the provision and integration of the nation’s water resources data were of an extraordinary nature. The nature of the individual’s contribution to better water data or information systems may take many paths, but it must be substantial and uncommon.
Nominations are open and due February 18, 2022
The nomination period for the 2022 David R. Maidment Award for Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Data are now open. Initial information about the nominee must be submitted through the online nomination form
and then supporting documentation must be emailed to the Maidment Award Chair, Steve Kopp
. Completed nominations must include:
To submit a nomination, follow these two steps:
- Online nomination. Click here to submit the initial nominee information.
- Historical data on the individual or institution sufficient in depth to identify sustained contributions to water data or information systems, supporting evidence by the nominator.
- Letters from three (3) individuals distinguished in some aspect of water resources data or information systems attesting to the worthiness of the individual to receive the award.
- The documentation must be thorough and address the nature of the attributes specified for the award so that valid judgments can be made by the award committee.
- Click here to submit the initial nominee information.
- Email Steve Kopp, the Maidment Award Chair, the supporting information, including historical data on the individual or institution and three (3) letters from individuals distinguished in some aspect of water resources data or information systems attesting to the worthiness of the individual to receive the award.